- Table of Contents Alerts - Provide the latest table of contents of a journal via e-mail or RSS. If you or the library owns a journal subscription to this journal, you can also freely access the full-text to the articles. Also known as Journal Issue Alerts.
- Search History - Allows you to save a search in an article database and return to the search results at a later date. You may also retrieve newer articles based on this search.
- Search History Alerts - Retrieve newly-added articles based on your search history topic and periodically e-mail them to you.
- Citation Alerts - Notify you when a particular citation is cited within another document. Also known as CiteTrack. Web of Science, ScienceDirect, ACM, and HighWire Press offer this service.
- AutoAlerts - Run saved searches automatically retrieving newly-added documents and e-mailing them to you. You may search for authors, keywords, or citations.
What do you think?
What are current awareness services?
Current awareness services, also known as alerting services, are free services provided by publishers.
Researchers are able to obtain notices about new books, a journal's table of contents, database updates, and much more.
Most of these services require you to register with the publisher(s) and to create a user name and password to login.
Table of Contents Alerts
The best way to set up a table of contents alert is:
- Identify the publishers of your preferred journals. You can use EUCLID or the eJournal Database (EJDB) to locate publishers and publishers' journal websites. Or, you can ask for assistance at the Woodruff Library reference desk in person, by e-mail at WoodRef@emory.edu, or by phone at 404-727-6875.
- Locate the journal at the publisher's website. Browse the list of e-journal publishers below.
- Register and login to setup alerts.
Note: Library or personal journal subscriptions may not be required to participate in these services. However, a library or personal subscription is required in order to view the full-text freely. Check eJournals@Emory for a library online subscription.
Some Table of Contents Alert Providers & Publishers:
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
The ACM Digital Library provides personalized services including TOC Service and RSS feeds. Select the ACM Digital Library, click on sign in in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- ACS Publications
The website of the American Chemical Society. Go to the tab labeled e-Alerts.
- Blackwell Publishing
Publishes journals in most disciplines. Blackwell Synergy is the name of its e-journal website. Select the My Synergy tab. Additional information is available.
- Cambridge University Press
Cambridge University Press publishes journals in a variety of disciplines. Select the Register Now link. Once you have created an account, use the Favorite Journals link to personalize your account.
Provides full-text to various publishers' magazines and journals. If EBSCO does not provide access to the most recent journal issues, this service will not work. Select the Title List from the database that has the journal you want. Choose the journal, then click on Journal Alert on the right of the screen. To set up a new alert, click on I'm a New User. See Help for additional information.
- Elsevier (ScienceDirect)
ScienceDirect, a database of journals produced by Elsevier, includes science, social science, and some humanities journals. Select Alerts under the Quick Links in ScienceDirect section to begin. Help is provided for creating alerts.
- HighWire Press
HighWire Press publishes the online versions of many scientific, technical and medical society journals. Social Science journals are also included. Within the Customize My HighWire section, select the Get a free account link to register.
- IEEE Xplore
IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, produces journals, conference proceedings, and books in the area of advanced technology. Create an account to set up the alert service.
An extensive collection of journal table of contents compiled from publishers. Prior to paying Ingenta's fees to view the full-text, search eJournals@Emory to see if you can locate the full-text you want for free. Click on Sign up here to begin. Instructions are provided.
- Project MUSE
A collection of electronic journals from various publishers. Subjects include humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Registering is not required. Click on the Journals link. Select Request Journal Alerts. Type in your e-mail address and click on Make or Change Selections.
Provides full-text to various publishers' magazines and journals. If ProQuest does not provide access to the most recent journal issues, this service will not work. While on the journal's page, click Set up Alert. Complete the Set up Your Publication Alert.
A publisher of scientific, technical, and medical journals. SpringerLink is the name of its e-journal website. Select the Register button on the left of the screen, under Welcome. See the FAQ for help.
- Web of Science (ISI Citation Indexes)
A scholarly, multidisciplinary database. Click on the Sign in or register link at the bottom right to register. Select the Information for New Users link for information.
- Wiley InterScience
A publisher of scientific, technical, and medical journals. Register, then see the Help section to set up an alert.
Additional electronic journal providers can be found at Databases @ Emory. Browse this list to locate additional alert services.
540 Asbury Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322