EndNote X3 - X7 offer the option to find the full-text of the references downloaded to your EndNote library.
Before trying to find the full text it's best to set your preferences in EndNote.
- Choose: Edit/Preferences/Find Full Text. (Mac choose: Endnote X#/Preferences/Find Full Text.)
- Check all four of the boxes on the preferences box, if they are not already checked.
- Two URLs need to be added to the preferences box.
The OPEN URL PATH (which allows EndNote to find the full text from the reference) should be: http://sfxhosted.exlibrisgroup.com/emu
The AUTHENTICATE WITH URL (which allows you to authenticate as an Emory faculty/staff/student and thus get access to Emory-paid resources) should be:
Here’s what it looks like:
After you’ve done a search and downloaded some references in EndNote:
- Select the references you want to find full text for.
- Right click and select: Find Full Text – Authenticate. You will be taken to a web page where you enter your Emory NetID and password, and click “login.” Then click “done” to close the window.
- Back at your EndNote library, right click the selected references AGAIN, and choose “Find Full Text –Find Full Text”.
- EndNote will begin searching through both freely available materials and Emory-licensed resources to find the full text. You can watch EndNote tally the progress on the bottom left side of your library.
- When a pdf is found, a paperclip will display next to the author’s name in your library. Sometimes EndNote cannot download the pdf, but will provide a link to the resource. These will display as “found URL.”