International Relations focuses primarily on the political and economic relations between/among states in the international system. Specific areas of study within the subdiscipline include international organizations, international conflict, ethnic conflict, international law, trade, diplomacy, and foreign policy.
Background Materials in IR
- International Relations: A Concise Companion
Short guide to basic international relations terminology.
- American Foreign Relations since 1600: A Guide to the Literature
Reference Z6465.U5 G84 2003
Two-volume set published by the Society of Historians for American Foreign Relations. Provides excellent annotated bibliographies for major events in American foreign relations. First chapter provides a wonderful overview of available resources in general foreign relations. Great place to start. Rest of volumes organized by time period and foreign policy event/focus.
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations
Reference JZ1160.N65 2002; 3 volumes
- International Relations: A Political Dictionary
JX1226 .Z57 1995
Specialized encyclopedias and dictionaries also exist on subfields within international relations, e.g.
- World Conflicts: A Comprehensive Guide to World Strife since 1945
Broken down by continent and then by country. Entries are followed by suggestions for further reading. Goes up to about 1997-1998.
- Encyclopedia of Arms Control and Disarmament
- World at Risk: A Global Issues Sourcebook
Reference JZ1242.W67 2002
Narratives issues affecting the international system. Includes very useful reference and bibliography.
- World Encylopedia of Peace
Reference JZ 5533.W67; multiple volumes
Excellent narratives along with bibliography for terms, figures, and developments in the promotion and study of peace.
- Global Geopolitical Flashpoints: An Atlas of Conflict
Reference JC319.A52 2000
- Encyclopedia of the Stateless Nations: Ethnic and National Groups around the World
Four volume set that highlights over 300 developed or emerging national groups worldwide.
- Encyclopedia of nationalism / editor-in-chief, Alexander Motyl.
Reference JC311 .E499 2001
- Nationalism and ethnicity terminologies : an encyclopedic dictionary and research guide / Thomas Spira ; with a foreword by Walker Connor.
Reference JC311 .S636 1999
- Human Rights Encyclopedia
Reference JC571.L523 2001
- Encyclopedia of Political Economy
Major themes and concepts associated with the intersection of politics and economy, including trade, currency, finance, and the like.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy
Covers range of empirical, theoretical, and conceptual issues associated with political economy
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of National Economies
Reference HC15 .W673 2002 V.1
Provides a concise and well-arranged overview on the economies of most countries, including discussions of taxation, trade, and finance.
- Dictionary of Trade Policy Terms
Reference HF1373 .G77 2003