Assignment Details to Remember
- Papers are required to have at least three different references from academic sources (peer-reviewed journals or educational books). Your text book may NOT be used as an academic source.
- Papers need to be focused on ONE particular topic during the developmental period of your choice.
Example: How smoking during pregnancy affects the development of the fetus during the prenatal period
- Write your paper in APA style.
- Journals that have all their articles carefully and sytematcially reviewed by subject experts to ensure that only the highest quality research is being published.
- The University of Arizona and the University of Texas at San Antonio have good guides on characteristics that distinguish a scholarly journal from a non-scholarly (or popular) journal.
- Synonyms: scholarly journal, refereed journal, academic journal.
- Scholarly books are those published by university-based presses or presses which adhere to high-quality academic standards for the books they publish.
- Examples include university presses such as Cambridge University Press, Stanford University Press, Nebraska University Press, etc.).
- Examples of commercial scholarly presses include Sage, Elsevier, Springer, Wiley-Blackwell, Taylor & Francis, Kluwer, the American Psychological Association, and many more. If you're not sure if a publisher is scholarly, ask a librarian.