General Sources Online
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online, + Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxford Reference Online Combines more than 170 reference works in various fields, including bilingual dictionaries of French, German, Spanish, and Italian.
- Credo Reference Search hundreds of reference works collectively or individually.
Music Reference Works - Start with These
Grove Music Online (Part of Oxford Music Online)
The primary English-language reference source for music. Covers music of all styles, periods, and geographic regions.
- Truncation symbol: *. Wildcards: ? for one character; * for one or more characters (c*t finds cat, cut, carat, clout, count . . .)
- Take advantage of the bibliography at the end of most articles.
- To see all articles listed alphabetically, click on "All Content" at upper left of home page.
Harvard Dictionary of Music, 4th ed. Don Michael Randel, ed. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2003
An authoritative source for definitions and concise articles on musical topics and terms. No articles on people. Online access is through Credo Reference Library.
Location of library's printed copy: MUSICMEDIA REF ML100 .H37 2003
Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, Centennial ed. 6 vols. Nicolas Slonimsky, ed. emeritus. New York: Schirmer Books, 2001.
Print edition: MUSICMEDIA REFERENCE ML105 .B16 2001.
Online counterpart (Beware!): Gale Biography in Context provides access to many—not all—of the biographies, but lacks the accompanying bibliographies and lists of works.
Recognized as the standard biographical dictionary in English. Covers some groups and individuals that Grove doesn't. Contains an index by nationality and genre (by historical period for people in art music) and an index listing women composers and musicians.
Encyclopedia of Popular Music, 4th ed. Don Michael Randel, ed.
Now available online through Oxford Music Online. Search this on its own or with other Oxford titles.
Covers popular music, including world music, from 1900 the present, with articles on artists, genres, trends, record labels, venues, and festivals.
Oxford Bibliographies Online. Music.
Guide to scholarly literature in music. The initial release contains articles on 50 topics and individuals, with extremely useful bibliographies of recommended resources. Cross-searching with other modules of Oxford Bibliographies Online is possible in Advanced Search. Highly recommended if the available articles pertain to your topic.