From the WGS 353W / HIST 353W syllabus:
Research paper (60%)
- This will involve writing a final in-class paper based on finding, analyzing, and contextualizing two primary sources about rape in a war that we are discussing in class.
- We will allocate different topics on the first day.
- You will need to consult with Jennifer Elder, our subject librarian as well as look through footnotes of other work and through library databases.
- Newspapers, government reports, diaries, and memoirs are good source material.
- Step one (for two documents) - due at different times through the course.
- Identify the source and where it comes from
- Summarize what it says
- Show how it is useful for a study of rape in wartime
- Discuss its limitations
- 800 words each
- I [Professor Scully] will give you feedback on this work as preparation for the final paper
- Step two
- Write a final in-class paper bringing together your analyses of the 2 documents
- Analyze the documents in the context of:
- the secondary literature on the war
- and on rape in wartime